Writing this post made a really wide smile on my face. I`ve just realized that moving to London has not only changed my life but also the way I live now. I`ve got so many new habits which were not acceptable before but I still feel great with that. I am pretty sure you may know what I mean and as far as I know I wouldn`t be the only one. Here is my magic list:
-📰 getting newspaper and READING it on the daily basis. Honestly newspapers were the last thing I would even touch but seems like I started educating myself in a very common way in here. There is not a better place to read a newspaper than a tube 😛
-🍽 baked beans ohhh yes yummm! Before just thinking about beans in the plastic container or a can gave me a thrill. How people could eat beans?! Well, I truly love them now.
– ❄ 4 seasons in one day… it`s soooooo normal. Isn`t it? Beautiful snowflakes in the summer…I wouldn`t be surprised. I`ve learnt that winter coats can`t be really put away in the summer and 30*C in January would be really possible. Come on Caroline…everyone knows that.
– ➕ adding hummus everywhere. Even though hummus is not an English dip everyone loves eating it in here. So do I. Once I`ve tried it hummus started to be an essential part of my life
-🌥deceiving sunshine ohhhh yes. 5*C outside but the lovely sun makes you put less clothes on. We believe the weather is going to be nice….hmmm not in this country. It may look very attractive but once you out shivering you realise the sun tricked you again. It always does to me.
– 🍞 toasting everything what I have it`s my every day hobby. I always thought toasted bread, croissant, roll etc does not taste good. Well, looks like something has changed
-🗣 I think the word sorry is number 1 in my dictionary. I say sorry all the time. It doesn`t really matter if I need to say so or not. I just use it without even realising how much. Someone will get in my way-I say sorry. Someone will step on my foot-I say… sorry. Sorry, sorry, sorry like a broken record.
– 🚌I am waving at the bus every time I need to take one. When I first saw a person doing so I thought `This woman is crazy, the bus will stop anyway`. I didn`t know that until the time the bus driver went past me without stopping leaving me miserable in a rainy day. So I keep waving.
– 🥜 best breakfast ever…peanut butter or jam on the toast. My Polish breakfast: ham and cheese sandwich, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese etc. went for a break. Jam and peanut butter wins the battle.
– 🥙seeing someone eating a sandwich with the crisps in there is not a surprising picture for me any more. First time I saw it I thought `this person is insane`. Well, I`ve actually tried it too. Maybe it didn`t steal my heart but I don`t mind having crispy sandwich from time to time.
-☕ tea is not actually a cup of tea in here. Probably most of the foreigners thinks that English people drink tea at 5pm as a traditional thing every single day. I thought exactly the same until instead of cup of tea I got a nice… DINNER. It changed my idea about tea entirely.
– 💋 texting someone always ends up with xx (which means kiss). It really became a habit and I started doing that mechanically without even noticing. Careful Caroline it`s not a formal way of expressing yourself so don`t text your boss ending the message with xxxxxxxxxxxx.
-🚦 I have never been so confused crossing the road. Before everything was on my right hand side. Moving to England made me cross the road only when the green man appears. I don`t know which is left which is right anymore. What have you done to me dear England? 😛
– 🛁 I am not looking for the socket in the bathroom anymore because it won`t be there. I remember trying to dry my hair checking every corner in my bathroom to plug the hair dryer in. That day I understood I won`t find it in any bathroom in this country. Forget about charging your toothbrushes. You can do it in the living room and watch some telly. Isn`t that great?
– ☂ I dont` believe the weather forecast nor the actual weather. That was quite unpleasant experience for me and a good lesson to have. That morning was really nice and warm. Most of the people coming here the first time would think the nice weather will stay like that for the entire day. Well, it`s England so that rule is not valid in here. Wearing t-shirt and shorts I went quite far from the place I lived. After an hour the temperature dropped so much that I turned… purple (almost). From that day on I put layers and layers when I go out…just in case.
– 📆 writing everything down in the calendar. I`ve never ever needed calendar to make any notes. People say London is a busy city and is sooooo true. Without writing things down I would be lost forever. Lots of things to remember and do. Since I moved to London calendar is a must. It`s actually really cool. Finally my life is organised 😛
That`s all for now. Probably it`s not everything but I think I managed to cover most of the common ones. Let me know if you liked the post and I am sure some of you have very own English habits too. I would love to know them.
See you soon